Digital asset management (DAM) is a business process for organizing, storing, and retrieving rich media assets and managing digital rights and permissions. Rich media assets include images, videos, audio files, and other multimedia content. DAM systems are used by individuals, teams, and organizations to centralize digital asset storage, track versions and revisions, control access and permissions, and automate workflows.
Why Use a DAM System?
There are many benefits to using a DAM system, including:
- Improved efficiency and productivity: A digital asset management system helps you find and reuse digital assets more easily, reducing the time and effort needed to create new content.
- Greater control and flexibility: It is easier to control and manage digital assets when they are stored in a central location with a well-defined structure. You can also set up rules and processes to automate workflows and ensure consistency.
- Improved security: By storing digital assets in a central location and controlling access with permissions, you can reduce the risk of unauthorized access and accidental deletion or modification.
Look for in a DAM System:
When choosing a DAM system, there are a few key features to look for, including:
- Asset storage: The system should provide a central location for storing all digital assets. It should support a variety of file types and be able to scale to accommodate future growth. The digital asset management system should be able to track and manage versions of digital assets. The system should be able to support multiple users and provide user-level security.
- Asset management: They should offer features for organizing, tagging, and searching for assets. It should also provide a way to track versions and revisions.
- Workflow management: Managing digital asset workflows, such as approvals, reviews, and sign-offs.
- Access control: The system should allow you to control who has access to assets and what actions they can perform.
- Integrations: It offers integrations with other business systems, such as content management systems (CMS), customer relationship management (CRM) systems, and marketing automation platforms.
DAM systems are typically priced according to the number of users or the amount of storage needed. Some vendors also offer discounts for annual prepayment or for adding additional features, such as integrations. When choosing a DAM system, it’s important to consider the total cost of ownership, which includes the cost of the software, implementation, training, and support.
Digital asset management is vital for businesses in the modern world. By centralizing all of your digital content and files in one place, you can ensure that your team can access them easily and that they are well-organized.